We all have periods in our lives where we’re more organized—and other times when we’re decidedly less so. Having relocated a family of five within the last year from Phoenix to Santa Barbara, I find myself still spending an inordinate amount of time looking for things: files, books, tax documents, and my favorite serving dishes!
Maybe you’ve had an office or home remodel, a death or illness in the family that has left you feeling a little chaotic in your life organization and struggling to resume healthy routines. We all need a little help getting back on track sometimes.
Business guru Thomas Leonard created the Ultimate Checklist on Coachville awhile back to help people get more organized and live healthier, less stressful lives. Virginia business coach Kim Lysik Di Santi shared this personal productivity tool with me more recently. It’s a good, regular self-test that I like to share often.
Check off as many boxes as you can. Pat yourself on the back for what you’ve done right, and get to work on the problem areas of your life!
The Ultimate Organization Checklist
Instructions: If the statement is true, put a check in the box next to the statement. Do not check the box until the statement is virtually always true for you. If the statement will never be true for you, check the box next to the statement. (You get credit for it because it does not apply or will never happen.) You may change any statement to fit your situation better. Keep working at it until all of the boxes in each section are checked.
- Physical Environment: Total Score: ____________
- Health & Emotional Balance: Total Score: ____________
- Money: Total Score: ____________
- Relationships: Total Score: ____________
Add up all four totals and record your total score here: ____________
- My personal files, papers and receipts are neatly filed away.
- My car is in excellent condition. (Doesn’t need mechanical work, repairs, cleaning or replacing)
- My home is neat and clean. (Vacuumed, closets clean, desks and tables clear, furniture in good repair; windows clean)
- My appliances, machinery and equipment work well. (Refrigerator, toaster, snow-blower, water heater, toys)
- My clothes are all pressed, clean and make me look great. (No wrinkles, baskets of laundry, torn, out-of-date or ill-fitting clothes)
- My plants and animals are healthy. (Fed, watered, getting light and love)
- My bed/bedroom lets me have the best sleep possible. (Firm bed, light, air)
- I live in a home/apartment that I love.
- I surround myself with beautiful things.
- I live in the geographic area I choose.
- There is ample and healthy light around me.
- I consistently have adequate time, space and freedom in my life.
- My environment does not damage me.
- I am not tolerating anything about my home or work environment.
- My work environment is productive and inspiring. (Synergistic, ample tools and resources; no undue pressure)
- I recycle.
- I use non ozone-depleting products.
- My hair is the way I want it.
- I surround myself with music which makes my life more enjoyable.
- My bed is made daily.
- I don’t injure myself, or bump into things.
- People feel comfortable in my home.
- I drink purified water.
- I have nothing around the house or in storage that I do not need.
- I am consistently early or easily on time.
____ Number of checked boxes (25 max)
HEALTH AND EMOTIONAL BALANCE
- I rarely use caffeine. (Chocolate, coffee, colas, tea) less than 3 times per week, total.
- I rarely eat sugar. (Less than 3 times per week.)
- I rarely watch television. (Less than 5 hours per week)
- I rarely drink alcohol. (Less than 2 drinks per week)
- My teeth and gums are healthy. (Have seen dentist in last 6 months)
- My cholesterol count is healthful.
- My blood pressure is healthful.
- I have had a complete physical exam in the past 3 years.
- I do not smoke tobacco or other substances.
- I do not use illegal drugs or misuse prescribed medications.
- I have had a complete eye exam within the past two years. (Glaucoma check, vision test)
- My weight is within my ideal range.
- My nails are healthy and attractive.
- I don’t rush or use adrenaline to get the job done.
- I have a rewarding life beyond my work or profession.
- I have something to look forward to virtually every day.
- I have no habits which I find to be unacceptable.
- I am aware of the physical or emotional problems or conditions I have, and I am now fully taking care of all of them.
- I consistently take evenings, weekends and holidays off and take at least two weeks of vacation each year.
- I have been tested for the AIDS antibody.
- I use well-made sunglasses.
- I do not suffer.
- I floss daily.
- I walk or exercise at least three times per week.
- I hear well.
____ Number of checked boxes (25 max)
- I currently save at least 10% of my income.
- I pay my bills on time, virtually always.
- My income source/revenue base is stable and predictable.
- I know how much I must have to be minimally financially independent and I have a plan to get there.
- I have returned or made-good-on any money I borrowed.
- I have written agreements and am current with payments to individuals or companies to whom I owe money.
- I have 6 months’ living expenses in a money market-type account.
- I live on a weekly budget which allows me to save and not suffer.
- All my tax returns have been filed and all my taxes have been paid.
- I currently live well, within my means.
- I have excellent medical insurance.
- My assets (car, home, possessions, treasures) are well-insured.
- I have a financial plan for the next year.
- I have no legal clouds hanging over me.
- My will is up-to-date and accurate.
- Any parking tickets, alimony or child support are paid and current.
- My investments do not keep me awakeat night.
- I know how much I am worth.
- I am on a career/professional/business track which is or will soon be financially and personally rewarding.
- My earnings are commensurate with the effort I put into my job.
- I have no “loose ends” at work.
- I am in relationship with people who can assist in my career/professional development.
- I rarely miss work due to illness.
- I am putting aside enough money each month to reach financial independence.
- My earnings outpace inflation, consistently.
____ Number of checked boxes (25 max)
- I have told my parents, in the last three months, that I love them.
- I get along well with my sibling(s).
- I get along well with my co-workers/clients.
- I get along well with my manager/staff.
- There is no one who I would dread or feel uncomfortable “running across”. (In the street, at an airport or party)
- I put people first and results second.
- I have let go of the relationships which drag me down or damage me. (“Let go” means to end, walk away from, no longer be attached to.)
- I have communicated or attempted to communicate with everyone who I have damaged, injured or seriously disturbed, even if it wasn’t fully my fault.
- I do not gossip or talk about others.
- I have a circle of friends/family who love and appreciate me for who I am, more than just what I do for them.
- I tell people how they can satisfy me.
- I am fully caught up with letters and calls.
- I always tell the truth, no matter what.
- I receive enough love from people around me to feel good.
- I have fully forgiven those people who have hurt/damaged me, deliberate or not.
- I am a person of his/her word; people can count on me.
- I quickly clear miscommunications and misunderstandings when they do occur.
- I live life on my terms, not by the rules or preferences of others.
- There is nothing unresolved with past loves or spouses.
- I am in tune with my wants and needs and get them taken care of.
- I do not judge or criticize others.
- I do not “take personally” the things that people say to me.
- I have a best friend or soul-mate.
- I state requirements rather than complain.
- I spend time with people who don’t try to change me.
____ Number of checked boxes (25 Max)